Sunday, December 11, 2011

current event #3


Current event #3
Title: Animal Shelter's behavior experts face life and death decisions for animals
Author: John Owens
Source: The Miami Herald

Topic: The animal shelter

Main idea: The animal shelter has to choose between keeping the animals and putting them to death

Authors purpose: Inform the reader about the animal shelters decisions based on the animal behavior.

The author’s perspective is objective because he is not only speaking about the dogs being out to death but also how they may actually live.

Pattern of organization: Argument and support. To prove why the dogs are being put to death.

Text features: A title is helpful by showing what the article is most likely about. Quotation marks that show some peoples opinions.

Summary: this article is about how animal shelters make the decision to put the animals to sleep or put them up for adoption based on their behavior.

Sagnifances of this article is: so that the reader can see the kinds of decisions shelters make which is either to put the pets up for adoption or put the pet to sleep.

What I learned from this article is: that some animals get put to sleep while others get put up for adoption based on their behavior.

What I liked about this article: was that the author used many quotation marks in this article to represent other people’s opinions.

What I didn’t like about this article: was that this article didn’t have any pictures so that the reader can see what happens in the shelters.

Who should read this: I think everybody should read this because it might show them what they do at the shelters and it might tell the m to take care of there pets better.

Text to self-connection: I can relate to this because my aunt had a dog and even though the dog acts badly she hasn’t put it to sleep.

Text to world connection: That I made was that animals all around the world is abandon and then put to sleep because they do not have a good behavior.

Text to text connection: That I made was to a book called a Lost Dog because it was also about a dog that had to be put to sleep.

New vocabulary I learned
   
    Word                             Context Clues                                         Meaning

1. Euthanized          reread it many times                                     To put to sleep
2. Evaluation                       inferred                              The value or number of something                                          3. Advocacy           Looked at the words next to                         motivation; support

No comments:

Post a Comment